If you’re in the Springfield area and are suffering from hip pain, you’re not alone. It’s a pretty common problem to have, but there is not only treatment you have to make it better, but some simple exercises you can try in your home or office to alleviate the pain. Obviously, if the pain persists, you should be checked out and a proper diagnosis made in order to properly correct your problem.
So the hip area consists of two main muscle areas, the tonic and phasic muscles.
The tonic muscles are the group that helps keep us upright and thus tend to be short and tight. These muscles should be regularly stretched to help them remain healthy, moreso because they even contract further in sleep. The phasic muscles tend to be weaker because they are used only when required. So the focus exercises of these muscles is one of strengthening.
Tonic muscle exercises
- From standing position, put the left leg in front of you and create a straddled position.
- Rotate the left side to roughly a right angle position.
- Do a posterior pelvic tilt to flattened the curve of the lower back out.
- This creates a stretch in the front and left of the hip and groin.
- Lean back and hold for 5 seconds.
- Repeat on the opposite side.
- Find a doorway and lay on your back placing one leg up against the jam. The other leg should protrude through the doorway.
- Push the leg on the jam further into the jam and then move closer to it to stretch the hamstring.
- Hold the position for a couple of minutes and then repeat with the other leg.
Phasic muscle exercises
- Lay on your back and place your hands under your lower back.
- Bend one knee up. Keep the other straight.
- Lift your breast towards ceiling a couple of inches and hold for several seconds.
- Repeat with the other leg.
- Lie on your back, legs bent and feet flat on the ground.
- Lift your buttocks up in line with your torso and hold for ten seconds.
- Repeat several times.
Bonus tip: clench and unclench your buttocks several times a day, standing or sitting.
All these exercises will help stretch and strengthen your hip muscles, relieving pain and helping prevent future problems. Of course, if the pain persists, come into our Springfield clinic and we can examine you, treat you and suggest other exercises and/or therapies that will help your condition.
In pain? Want a tune up? Call us today (908) 325 – 3000. We can treat and help you.